Monday 11 September 2023

Beginner Cushion Plan

Just on a whim, I tweaked the beginner cushion maths, just to make it easier to make and finish it in a day. The new maths and written instructions needed testing.  A cushion using sewing notions fabrics? Why not? I love it, it was very easy, of course!
3 ladies came to the workshop on the Saturday and thoroughly enjoyed learning all the basics of patchwork and quilting by making their very own cushion, I forgot to get photos, again!!

When Pam saw my cushion, she immediately wanted one for her very own self so, she purchased the 3 Fat Quarters needed and lick-etty-split the cushion was complete. Pam's done shadow quilting and my cushion has quilting lines through the squares. Just in case you think it's the same cushion! Carol saw the cushion so she has one now, with diagonal line quilting and Di purchased the 3 Fat Quarters to make a sewing cushion on the upcoming retreat. How funny we are! Toot toot toot everyone, fabulous and finished cushions galore.
Pam's cushion on her sewing chair. Perfect!

I had made one cushion front but didn't like the balance, basically it didn't! I wanted wider border strips. Not one to waste supplies, I quilted it anyway and made a second cushion. This time I added binding.

With bits of the fabric left over from playing with the cutting maths, I pieced the two backing halves and quilted them, this makes the cushion feel quite luxurious indeed. I just have to finish hand sewing my binding. I do love a homemade cushion, don't you?

September is proving to be a very busy month personally (lots of birthdays) also busy in my very own shop.
Someone ordered more fabric because big boxes arrived on Friday. Just when I was beginning to see shelf spaces I go and fill it all up again, for goodness sakes, will I ever be ready to retire?
  


No comments: