Wednesday 28 October 2009

Old Treasures??

I can't remember whether I mentioned that 'we' decided to relocate my sewing room to a bigger bedroom... can't wait to get in there. I will have enough cupboard space for my fabric stash so I won't have to use plastic storage boxes (in theory!) AND my ironing board will fit inside the door... he he he... I know, I know... I should be grateful to have a room at all, and I am, but this other room isn't being used so.. hey ho... I put my name on it. This is the advantage of having adult kids I guess...

I've been doing a little sorting out, I'm surprised that I need to do this, given that I only sorted everything thoroughly in June when we left Portugal ... but I do need to do it...
I came across these blocks... how sweet... these are the first ones I made on my own, in 1998. The colours are not brilliant, I see that now.... I was living in Brazil at the time and there wasn't a lot of choice... plus I had no clue what I was doing....
If you look closely you can see that I even matched my thread to the fabric... I don't do that anymore, Look at all the thread I was wasting.... I don't do that anymore, I use Leaders & Enders or even a Pig, I hardly ever waste thread.
Not knowing how things work... I cut 4 triangles in the same fabric for the centre... now I would use a square in one piece, or at least vary the fabrics....

Oh dear this is my second block, same ugly fabrics... This is my first attempt at "Y" seams... not bad I guess, they are lying, more or less, flat... Looks like I tried a little fussy cutting for the centre too...

and the back... this shows a good bit of pivoting....
Anyway, by the time I did my third block I decided I didn't like the colours so I had a friend take me shopping for more.... That's why these never made it to my first quilt. We worked as a group, called Morumbi Quilters, doing a block-a-month quilt, it was called "Crossing Over Time" I'll try to find a picture of it to show you... I still use it a lot.

1 comment:

Dottymo said...

They are better than my first attempts. Collect all these blocks and make a treasure quilt.
maureen