Wednesday 7 April 2010

Free Motion Quilting

This is the quilt that I made with the left over half square triangles from the Pineapple Blossom quilt, photo of which is on the right side bar and if you click on it, it will take you to the pattern on Quiltville. The colours are brighter than in this picture, I muted them a bit so you could see the quilting better.
I'm posting about this quilt to show you some very simple free motion quilting that I did in the borders... and I cheated a bit!!! woooohoooo
This is the same picture but with the flash. So if you look carefully at the photos, you will see that there are three lines of stitching... here's the cheating part... I made a lovely, even, gentle, curved line all round the border first, it's the line in the middle of the design... I USED MY WALKING FOOT to do that!! then I went round again adding the uneven, swirly,whirly pattern to one side of the centre guide line, then switched sides to do the swirly whirls on the outside of the guide line. I think it is really tricky to get longish lines with even stitches using the darning foot.. that's why I cheated!!!

No comments: