Sunday 16 April 2017

Quilty Quarters

I love a long Bank Holiday weekend, don't you?
My very own, very well stocked and quite inspiring, quilt shop is closed to give me chance to rest and do things... like sewing!!! ha ha ha
After a very early start to the first day, yesterday, I  cracked on and had a short burst of energy in the domestic 'must be done' department followed by... well, actually...
I went to get ready to go to my very own shop to do a bit more of the dreaded stock taking. but, a quite incidental, sideways glance into Quilty Quarters occurred and I suddenly thought... "Sod it I'm going in!", forgive the language, but honesty happens!
So... I did, I went in.
The magnetic power sucked my 'should be doing' and turned it into 'want to do!!'
Lots of things had been 'dumped' on the floor and on every surface for one reason and another... Most of all the Uttoxeter Quilt Show... There was all the frantic finishing of quilts, adding hanging sleeves and the sorting of labels... I didn't tidy as I worked... there was no time, or desire, to do that.
Then there was the Crumbs and Mile A Minute demo. booth stuff piled... and the SPQ stand stuff and quilts to give to the people from the stand display... anyway eventually I put all the 'stuff' in the right/a good/better place... and vacuumed!! and dusted!! It looked fabulous...
All that done I tackled the mending pile... some things had been on that pile for more than 3 years!!! I set to and mended everything, well almost... 2 jobs involved buttons so they are still there, ha! Next up was the quilt finishing pile...
This quilt just needed the binding sewing on so I did that, it needed Faux Piped Binding so it took a little while but I was watching/listening to The Quilt Show at the very same time, I love watching the older programmes... so much has changed in the quilting world! This little quilt is made mostly from left overs of other projects... made just to show that lot's of our left overs can make fun quilts. The frog fabric was trimmings from a quilt backing. The bright green is left from me making a Beatrice Pinafore. The borders are left over fabrics, carefully saved, as I do. The orange fabric is some faulty fabric that lots of us purchased ages ago. The fish fabric is also left over bits.. I had fussy cut the fabric for a quilt I made, which left the little bits.
Toot toot toot for a small but fabulous and finished quilt... 

I made this little quilt a while ago to show what you could do with an uneven striped fabric. Which turned into a workshop for the Hidden Wells projects that are ongoing in my shop... there's also one ongoing in quilty quarters. So, yesterday I finished sewing the binding on this quilt...not a big job, 20 minutes and it was done, so that's another... small but fabulous and finished quilt ... toot toot toot.
I made this rather dramatic quilt in June 2009, it has a label telling me so.
It was the very last quilt I made living in Portugal and I was extremely unhappy when I made it, I didn't want to leave Portugal. Anyway... enough of my whining, it's called "Sunshine On A Rainy Day, Time to leave Portugal" I've been in England for almost 8 years now, I am finally over that sadness, I lie to you.
Yesterday, I stitched on a hanging sleeve and hung it up!
Only 8 years after completion... ha ha ha

After all that quilt finishing, I remained in Quilty Quarters.
I sorted out the overflowing scrap bucket...basically just put it all back into the big bottom draw sticking out there. On the cutting table there was another basket with even more of the fabric strips left over from doing the Jan Hassard workshop. I have already made 4 further quilts using the strips by cutting them up with my 60 degree Triangle ruler... I had cut way too many... so, I laid out my Clover design floor! I no longer have our Molly to worry about
 so I can do that (sad, but true) and embarked on 60 degree triangle quilt number 5... I laid it all out and thought...
"Yes, that's OK... but I don't want to make another 60 degree quilt!"
What to do... I eventually found inspiration or something and got out my Tri Recs rulers... I trimmed all 60 degree triangles and the rest of the strip sets to the big Tri template and then some other scraps of possible background-ish fabric to the little Recs ruler... then, I decided that I liked doing that so I emptied out the scrap bucket/drawer again and started to cut other fabric scraps with the Tri Recs... Oh the creativity flowed... but then... where did all the time go? When I looked up it was dark, I was hungry and thirsty and it was Pajardie time...
This picture was taken this morning... this is how I left Quilty Quarters after my 'stocktaking, not! day' I'm going in there again now!!! woooohoooo

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a long, productive weekend you've had! I enjoyed reading the stories associated with each quilting project.