Tuesday 23 August 2011

Uttoxeter Quilt Class

Here you go.... As expected, Lovely Lyn has been stitching at home and has finished her Log Cabin quilt top. Lots of ladies have made this design and, I have to say, every one is as good as the next... every colour way is stunning. It's a quilt with WOW factor and I think that is helped a lot by the Saw Tooth border blocks. All blocks are 9". Lyn will be going to Caverswall on Friday to make her sandwich and to start quilting it. Today though, she was making her quilted Mat & Ruler Bag, the tutorial for which... should you want to make one of your very own... is on the right side bar.
Marisabel had been stitching at home too and had all three of her strip sets completed. Next step was to join all three strips together, make a loop by joining the two ends together, press the whole thing very carefully then cut wide strips and little strips, unpick a seam, in the right order of moving them up or down... it's very easy!! ha ha ha Come on over and I will help you!
Messy Maureen made a few practice blocks for her charity project. The first block was a little too complicated with too many triangles of different sizes, just keeping track of the cutting was enough. The second block was a keeper, a good sized square for the centre which was framed by triangles, but much easier triangles. Maureen purchased two fat quarters to give her the Red,White and Blue theme and cut out all the necessary bits. She's going to need 4 of these blocks for the table runner.
Giggly Gillian has made about a thousand of these large HST's (Half Square Triangles) all will be 6" finished. I exaggerate, I know, but the table was covered in them... looked like thousands to me! She's going to introduce a couple more fabrics yet, she says it needs 'brightening up'. We'll lay them out next time to get a better idea where she's up to. It's difficult to decide what's needed with them all in little piles.

I showed the ladies a few of My Mum's (Gwynneth's) quilts and they put  a few of then on their "I want to make one of those" list, other peoples work is so very inspiring, that's one of the the best things about working with a group of quilty chums I guess.
Holiday and weddings, visitors and workmen, day trips and gardens... all have to be attended to, so... we won't meet again in Uttoxeter until Tuesday 13th September, three weeks from now. There's always a table spare at Caverswall though, should you want to come over to play!!

2 comments:

Maggi said...

Lyn's log cabin is gorgeous. I really like the way it seems to float on the right hand and top sides. very ingenious way of ensuring that Bargello strips stay organised and cut to the right size. I bet it was you who thought that one up. I'm sure that they are going to get lots done in their three week rest.

Superior Threads said...

I love that log cabin! I think I need to make one. It's fun to see what your group is up to. I am a member of a "friendship group" consisting of 8 very close friends. What would I do without them....I never want to know. Beautiful projects ladies!!
Ricci