Monday 15 August 2011

Festival Of Quilts, NEC

Did you go to The Festival Of Quilts in Birmingham? What did you think about it? There were some very inspiring quilts to see, as always of course. I picked out only a few quilts that could be of interest to you.
The patchwork in this quilt had all been knitted. I bet it's very snuggly and warm... love the colours, love the scrappy-ness of all the colours... love the wool-y-ness, he he he, Generally... loved it
This wasn't an exhibition quilt, it was on a shop display but it caught my eye because it is the same design as my 'Pink But Not Too Pinky Pink' quilt. This one has a large fabric square in each centre where mine has a 4-patch  block... what a great way to use the big prints that we don't like to cut up! It's on my 'need to make' list... I have loads of fabric I can't bring myself to chop up. There are some beauties in my Table Top Shop too
My Mum (Gwynneth) wasn't able to go to the show this year and, as she is working on a Hexagon quilt, I thought she might like to see this one. They are very small hexagons... lovely isn't it. A simple design in the fresh, bright colours... loved it.
This pineapple quilt wasn't in the competition either, I think it was in one of those special booth display bits, if my memory serves me correctly (and it rarely does!) I think it was a display of American quilts... anyway, that bit isn't important for now... I just thought it was extremely clever how it worked, I was very impressed... click on it and you'll see what I mean...
This quilt reminded me of Obidos in Portugal, at the right time of the year there's Wisteria hanging all over the walls there, so pretty! This quilt had people getting in good and close to see how it was made... each of the little flowers is a tiny appliquéd hexagon... really stunning. This is definitely NOT on my to do list but boy was it beautiful... again click on the picture, any of the pictures actually... have a good look at the details if you like... if the pictures aren't too blurred for ya...

Back to normal today, chores and duties... fast as I can... then Quilty Quarters here I come!

1 comment:

Maggi said...

Thanks for the photos. saw that pineapple quilt too and was very impressed. How I managed to miss you I'm not sure but hope that you had a good time.